Saturday, 10 May 2008

May already

What do you know its the 10th of May and the year is just flying along. So whats been happening apart from the usual, get up, get clean, get to work, get home, get fed, go to bed routine.

I had a quick trip to Wellington to train the guys on Goldmine and the new ESP proposal stuff. It was a bit of a disaster, however there is always next month. But the big news is of course Shels book launch. For those of you who couldn't be there check through these.

I managed to get rid of the red eye, but the photographer was shocking, must have been the wine!



We got to the Albany library at he appointed time after picking up Vera, a Russian lady, who Shells wanted us to bring. Unfortunately beyond please and thank you Vera's English was a bit limited, so we had a quiet trip.

We got a park right out the front of the library and then found a chap videoing everyone who went in the door, I knew I should have dressed up. Being the star's photographer I managed to avoid everyone except this chap.

What started as a trickle of people soon turned into a crush. I stayed at the door, offered everyone a glass of wine and got them pointed in the direction of the star of the night. Shelly seemed to have invited everyone she knew and quite a few she didn't and the chap at the till did a roaring trade.

The author has just told me that Paper Plus in Browns Bay has sold out of her book, so you will have to be quick if you want a copy.

After all the speeches and thanks, and of course the signing, fully lubricated by wine and glorious food, handed round by Shell's friends who also cleaned up after the star we decided to go for a meal. When Allen and I took Vera back to Takapuna we went past an empty GPK in Albany, so we arranged to meet there, it seemed like a good idea, however it was full, as was The Wine Box, another good eatery, so we ended up back at the restaurant next door to the library. Its had a change of management and while the service was good, the food was appalling, and over priced. It is definitely ready for a Ramsey moment. No wonder it was empty. Anyway nothing could stop the revelry and we finally staggered off to Shels for a dessert (icecream) before getting home and off to bed.

What have we done since? Well I now have a good Toasties club going at Takapuna Midday, even got some men, and it looks as though we will have a good committee this year. We have plenty of social occasions with the Fire Guys, 1st Thursday of the month with all past and present members at the Devonport Yacht Club, and a Fire Girls dinner/drink on the 2nd Thursday of the month. I have a Her Business speaking engagement coming up in June, and of course there is Rarotonga at the end of June when Annette and Keith get married.

Hope you are impressed with the photos - I know I was.

2 comments:

Melissa Call said...

Congratulations to Shelly! I had a look, but it doesn't look like Amazon is carrying her book yet... Where's my copy!

:-)

M

Jimpa Stimpa said...

Mel you'll just have to wait until you get to NZ! Don't you know bad photo's are just like bad spelling :)

Can't wait for the next update.